Rats are one of the most common and troublesome pests that can infest your home or business. They can cause damage to your property, contaminate your food, and spread diseases to humans and pets. If you have a rat problem, you may be wondering if pest control can kill rats and how effective it is.
In this article, we will answer these questions and provide you with some useful information on how to get rid of rats with pest control. We will also compare different types of pest control methods, such as natural, biological, physical, and chemical, and help you decide which one is best for your situation.
- Pest control can kill rats by using various methods, such as traps, baits, fumigation, or exclusion.
- The effectiveness of pest control depends on several factors, such as the type and size of the rat infestation, the type and quality of the pest control service, and the follow-up and prevention measures taken by the customer.
- The cost of pest control varies depending on the type of service, the type of pest, and the size of the property. The average cost of pest control for rats is between $200 and $1,200.
- The best way to choose a pest control company is to do some research, compare quotes, check reviews and ratings, and ask for references and guarantees.
- The best way to prevent rat infestations is to keep your home or business clean and tidy, seal any gaps or holes that rats can use to enter, and remove any sources of food, water, or shelter for rats.
How Does Pest Control Kill Rats?
Pest control can kill rats by using different methods depending on the type of service you choose. Here are some of the most common methods used by pest control professionals:
- Traps: Traps are devices that capture or kill rats when they trigger a mechanism. There are various types of traps available, such as snap traps, glue traps, live traps, or electronic traps. Traps are usually placed in strategic locations where rats are active or likely to pass by. Traps can be effective for small or moderate infestations but may not be enough for large or severe ones. Traps also require regular monitoring and disposal of dead rats.
- Baits: Baits are substances that attract rats and contain a poison that kills them when they ingest it. Baits can be in the form of pellets, blocks, liquids, or gels. Baits are usually placed in bait stations that protect them from non-target animals and children. Baits can be effective for large or severe infestations but may take some time to work as rats need to consume a lethal dose of poison. Baits also pose a risk of secondary poisoning to pets or wildlife that may eat dead or dying rats.
- Fumigation: Fumigation is a process that involves filling an enclosed space with a toxic gas that kills rats and other pests. Fumigation is usually done by professionals who seal off the area to be treated and use special equipment to release the gas. Fumigation can be effective for large or severe infestations but may be expensive and disruptive as it requires vacating the premises for several hours or days. Fumigation also poses a risk of exposure to harmful chemicals if not done properly.
- Exclusion: Exclusion is a method that involves preventing rats from entering or re-entering your property by sealing any gaps or holes that they can use as entry points. Exclusion can be done by using materials such as mesh, metal, foam, or caulk. Exclusion can be effective for preventing future infestations but may not be enough for existing ones. Exclusion also requires thorough inspection and maintenance of your property to identify and seal any potential access points.
How to Choose a Pest Control Company for Rats
If you have a rat infestation that is beyond your control, you may need to hire a professional pest control company to deal with it. However, not all pest control companies are the same, and you need to do some research before you make a decision. Here are some tips on how to choose a pest control company for rats:
- Compare quotes from different companies. You can get free quotes from various pest control companies online or by phone. Compare the prices, services, and guarantees offered by each company. The cost of pest control for rats depends on several factors, such as the type and size of the infestation, the type and quality of the service, and the size of the property.
- Check reviews and ratings from previous customers. You can find reviews and ratings from previous customers on various websites. Look for positive feedback on the company’s professionalism, effectiveness, customer service, and safety. Avoid companies that have many complaints, unresolved issues, or violations.
- Ask for references and guarantees from the company. You can also ask the company to provide you with a list of references from previous customers who had similar problems with rats. Contact these references and ask them about their experience with the company. You can also ask the company to provide you with a written guarantee that covers the results of the service, the duration of the warranty, and the terms and conditions of the refund or re-treatment policy.
- Verify the company’s license and certification. You can verify the company’s license and certification by contacting your state’s pesticide regulatory office. Make sure the company has a valid license to operate in your state and that its applicators are certified and trained in handling pesticides safely and effectively. You can also ask the company to provide you with a copy of their pest control license, copies of the labels for all pesticides used, and the rates at which they will be applied.
Rats are not only annoying but also dangerous pests that can harm your health and property. Pest control can kill rats by using various methods, such as traps, baits, fumigation, or exclusion. However, the effectiveness, cost, and safety of these methods depend on several factors, such as the type and size of the rat infestation, the type and quality of the pest control service, and the follow-up and prevention measures taken by the customer.
Therefore, it is important to choose a reliable and reputable pest control company that can offer you the best solution for your rat problem. You can do this by comparing quotes, checking reviews and ratings, asking for references and guarantees, and verifying the company’s license and certification.
Moreover, you can prevent rat infestations by keeping your home or business clean and tidy, sealing any gaps or holes that rats can use to enter, and removing any sources of food, water, or shelter for rats outside your property.